Addictions . Cross-addictions . Trauma (A.C.T)
Among the different kinds of addiction conditions which we treat are psychological addictions, physical addictions, cross addictions and trauma. What these conditions all have in common is their ability to alter personalities, encourage erratic and irrational behaviour, provoke frightening experiences, and be the cause of hopelessness. Anyone who has had a loved one experience these conditions understands how devastating the effects can be.
But sometimes it is not possible to assess someone on the basis that they only suffer from one condition which appears to be present. At Serenity, we prefer to take a multi-dimensional approach which allows us to uncover any underlying conditions which may also be present. Only once we have done this can we identify the correct treatment requirements. We examine any chemical dependency, and the affect of associated conditions which may also be affecting an individual simultaneously.
Among the cross addictions which might affect an individual who is also suffering from a drug or alcohol abuse problem are sex addiction and food addiction. What we do at XX is structure your ACT treatment programme to factor in these cross addictions, to ensure that the plan is optimised as much as possible. We combine these treatments for addictive disorder and traumas into an integrated addiction plan encompassing conditions from right across the spectrum. This includes looking back at any childhood or adolescent traumas which may be relevant, and factoring them into the process.
Once we have pinpointed these influences, we can see how they have come to affect an individual’s life; from psychology to biology, social behaviour and spirituality. We look at the different stages which led to addiction, the stages within the addiction, and the point which they have now reached. Once these processes have been completed, then we have the solid foundation for recovery.
We can then structure a living model of ACT treatment which takes into account all of an individual’s experiences and their personal outlook. We can then put together a treatment plan which puts in place the following helpful conditions:
– Sessions with a suitable therapist who is able to demonstrate compassion as well as firmness when necessary.
– Therapy sessions which are structured according to the individual’s needs, and filled with activities which are known to be positive.
– Sufficient organisation to make the plan efficient.
– Structure and content which encourages the individual to make their own decisions when relevant.
– A complete avoidance of settings which could result in criticism or humiliation.
– An environment which shows respect to each individual.
– A treatment plan which is the pathway to give individuals control of their lives back.
Serenity Health specialist telephone counsellors are available today to help with any questions and our website guides on 0800 118 2892 or +44 (0)203 151 1280