Drug Rehab Centres can help thousands of those struggling with drug abuse or addiction to overcome their problem and find new direction in life. On this page, we run through all the ‘need to knows’ pertaining to Drug Rehab Centres, equipping you with the knowledge which you need.
What are Drug Rehab Centres?
Drug Rehab Centres are facilities up and down the country which help individuals who are battling drugs abuse or addiction problems. In many cases, these services are able to help people affected by the individual’s drug issue, such as friends and family. Drug Rehab Centres take a holistic view of the recovery process for drugs abusers and addicts; from an initial consultation to detoxification, group or one on one therapy, rehabilitation, and the resumption of a normal life once the recovery process has reached its final stage.
In many cases Drug Rehab Centres admit outpatients who are able to come and go as they please, attending the center for appointments but staying at home. These are known as outpatient centers. Other Drug Rehab Centres offer support to inpatients – these are individuals who benefit from 24/7 support and stay overnight at the facility. These are known as inpatient centers. There are also Drug Rehab Centres which can offer a mixture of inpatient and outpatient services.
What do Drug Rehab Centres offer
let’s look at exactly why Drug Rehab Centres can be such a good option for those battling with drug problems. In this section, we run through the services which Drug Rehab Centres of all types provide:
– Consultation – it is very rare that a Drug Rehab Center would admit an individual without them undergoing a consultation – either in person, over the phone, or both. Not only does the consultation allow the rehab professional to assess the individual’s drugs issue and what help might be needed, but it also gives individuals the chance to talk about their problem, in some cases for the first time, and to find out more about the Drug Rehab Center which they have applied to.
– Detox – for some drugs users, a successful detoxification period can be absolutely critical to becoming free from drugs once and for all. Especially where highly addictive Class A drugs – such as heroin or crack cocaine – are concerned, a physical dependence has been developed which means the detoxification period represents the single biggest obstacle to a full recovery. Drug Rehab Centres offer the professional support and guidance which can be crucial to completing a detoxification, as well as providing a safe and secure environment for addicts and abusers to detox in.
– Counselling – typically taking place on a one on one basis, counselling are sessions in which individuals who are struggling with a drugs problem are able to talk about their issue, the underlying causes for their habits, and plan a future life without drugs. The counsellors themselves might be recovered abusers or addicts who are able to offer tips and advice, as well as an empathetic voice when needed. In some cases, individuals admitted to Drug Rehab Centres might have lost control over their lives, and counselling can allow them to get back this control.
– Group therapy – for many abusers and addicts or drugs, group therapy can be hugely effective in a number of ways. Not only does it allow those with drugs problems to be completely open and honest with those around them, but it also offers comradeship which comes with experiencing the highs and lows of rehab together with those who are in a similar situation. The friendships forged in Drug Rehab Centres can last for life, and the support which group mates can offer each other should not be underestimated.
– Motivational and confidence training – the rehabilitation services offered by Drug Rehab Centres often comprise programmes lasting several weeks. The process of preparing individuals for a new drug-free life can benefit from sessions designed to build the confidence and instill motivation and drive. These can reduce the chance of relapse once a former drug abuser or addicts leaves the programme.
– Holistic therapies – increasingly, in addition to directly tackling a drugs issue, Drug Rehab Centres focus on the overall mental and physical health and wellbeing of a client. This can involve anything from yoga to meditation, reiki and art – in a number of exercises designed to improve relaxation, encourage expression or improve fitness.
– Family support – the journey an individual takes on the road to recovery from drugs or alcohol abuse can also be experienced by friends and family of an individual who seeks the help of a Drug Rehab Center. Some of the leading Drug Rehab Centres can provide support and guidance to the loved ones who are affected during what can be a stressful rehabilitation period. Professionals at Drug Rehab Centres are well versed in attempting to ease the strain which can damage relationships, while also holding meetings known as ‘mediation sessions’ which are able to improve relations between a recovering drugs addict or abuser, and their friends or family. This form of support an be given face to face, or by telephone.
– Aftercare – even once an abuser or addict has left a programme, Drug Rehab Centres are still able to provide valuable support which can help them continue a drug-free life in society. Aftercare is typically provided in the form of ad hoc appointments, either by telephone or in person, or through regular follow up meetings which are scheduled on a periodical basis.
10 benefits of drug rehab centers
Drug Rehab Centres can provide the key to overcoming drugs problems because of the many benefits which courses can offer. The help most important to each individual who is admitted to Drug Rehab Centres will depend on the nature of their specific problem, and in this section, we look at some of the key benefits:
Come to terms with your problem
In many cases, drugs abusers or addicts simply don’t appreciate that they have a significant problem. It can almost be a subconscious trigger from the mind to pass off their behaviour as normal. For this reason, Drug Rehab Centres can provide a crucial step to the recovery process – the chance for an abuser or addict to take a step back, analyse their behaviour and come to terms with their situation.
Take back control of your life
Drug use often becomes a problem when an individual loses control of their life due to their habit. When they are living to take drugs, drug use has taken up a level of importance which is affecting their life adversely. By tackling the root causes of the problem and offering rehabilitation, Drug Rehab Centres can help people take back control of their life and enjoy a happier existence.
While a drugs abuser or addict can be determined to overcome their problem, where many fail is the lack of a coherent structure to overcome the problem. What Drug Rehab Centres can offer is a framework which has been proven to succeed, meaning individuals are not rushed through a programme, and must ‘tick off’ the completion of each stage to proceed.
Encourage proactive behaviour
It is all very well an individual admitting to themselves that they have a problem, but if they carry on living the same life, making the same mistakes, what changes? Drug Rehab Centres offer drugs abusers and addicts valuable advice on how to overcome their drugs problem, often talking from experience. And crucially, they make the individual aware that only they, and they alone, can beat their problem.
An attentive ear
Many drugs abusers and addicts may not have a support network which they can turn to when the going gets tough. Even if they do, it might be difficult for their family and friends to relate to the struggle which they are experiencing if they haven’t been in the same situation. Drug Rehab Centres offer the support of counsellors who are aware of the hurdles which those with drugs problems must overcome on their way to a full recovery. In many cases, an individual appreciates the presence of a good listener that can listen to them without becoming over-emotional themselves, or pre-judging the drugs abuser or addict. Drug Rehab Centres offer the chance for those with drugs issues to talk about their problems in a private setting.
Breaking the cycle of addiction
For many, the only way to break the cycle of addiction can be to enter the controlled environment which Drug Rehab Centres provide. Depending on the drug being relied upon, detoxification can be one of the most important parts of leaving addiction behind both physically and mentally, and Drug Rehab Centres can be vital where this stage is concerned. The rehab process which follows a detox is also important to breaking the addiction cycle once and for all, and Drug Rehab Centres can provide structured rehab and aftercare which is designed to ensure the individual does not fall back into the habits which led to an addiction.
Develop new habits
In order to get rid of the bad habits which can form the basis for drug abuse or addiction, we must replace them with new ones. Effective Drug Rehab Centres can help develop the self-discipline which is crucial to forming these new, healthier habits. This is done in the form of training on goal setting which is focused on strengthening the resolve of former drugs users and addicts so that they do not fall back into the old bad habits.
A daily routine
It might be said that the single most important part of forming new habits is to develop a healthy and purposeful daily routine. This can be hard for former drugs abusers and addicts to adopt in their normal environment, due to the distractions and temptations which can slow progress, or worse still, lead to old habits being resumed. Inpatient Drug Rehab Centres offer the benefit of an orderly environment in which individuals can develop a daily routine which can be the foundation of their road to recovery.
A drug-free zone
Availability of drugs might be a huge factor in an individual’s struggle to become clean away from Drug Rehab Centres. The no tolerance policy to drugs and alcohol which is typically implemented at Drug Rehab Centres can be vital in allowing a successful detoxification to take place, as well as the planned rehab steps which are included in a programme. The policy is enforced by rules which require anyone caught with drugs or alcohol to leave a facility if they are caught in possession. The strict adherence to this policy provides a temptation-free environment for drugs abusers and addicts in recovery.
Drug Rehab Centres offer a variety of privacy levels, from the open group type sessions of outpatient centers, to the personalised one on one treatment which inpatient centers provide. Whichever type of Drug Rehab Center you choose, you can expect a level of privacy which allows you to go about the different stages of the rehab and detox processes away from the potential distractions and scrutiny of the ‘outside world’.
Many Drug Rehab Centres, especially those which are private, can offer the advantage of individualised programmes which are catered to the specific needs of the individual. As these private Drug Rehab Centres typically admit a smaller number of enrollees, they are able to offer a more intimate service with a scheduled programme that considers only the individual in its planning, rather than following a group calendar. Some drugs addicts and abusers benefit from this type of ultra-focused programme which is managed around them.
How do I choose a Drug Rehab Center?
There is no right or wrong way to choose Drug Rehab Centres. Rather, an individual can ensure they have the best Drug Rehab Center for their needs by asking themselves, and answering, a series of questions. In this section, we look at some of the key questions which can help individuals decide which is the right Drug Rehab Center for them:
– Is the location convenient for me?
For many drugs abusers and addicts who would like to be admitted to an outpatient center, it makes sense to choose a location which is in close or mid range proximity to where they live. This is because they will not be staying overnight, and their visits for appointments need to be made as convenient as possible. For some participating in programmes at inpatient facilities, too, it can be advisable to seek Drug Rehab Centres which are situated near to home. This makes it easier for friends and family to come and visit if they are able to. However, some attending inpatient centers will be more suited to isolated locations which are a considerable distance from their home, in order to give them the time and space which they need to focus on their recovery.
– Is the programme right for me?
As with the question of location, there is no right or wrong choice when it comes to choosing a group or personalised programme. For those who have never attended Drug Rehab Centres before, it can be a case of trying one kind of programme, or attending a consultation, to help them make a more informed decision. For the type of people who prefer having the comradeship and morale support of those in a similar situation, group-based programmes can make sense. However, if an individual feels that he or she needs to focus solely on themselves, a tailored, persona; programme may be preferred.
– Am I satisfied with the facility’s credentials?
When considering which Drug Rehab Center to choose, you should pay close attention to the credentials and experience which are detailed on the website or in marketing collateral produced by the facility in question. Can they show evidence of offering experienced rehab professionals who have a track record in helping drugs abusers and addicts? Do they have the necessary medical know-how and resources to administer the detoxification stage of the recovery process? And do their counsellors have any personal experience of dealing with drugs abuse and addiction problems – this should not be looked at as a prerequisite, but for some individuals, it will be important to have the opportunity to speak with somebody who was once in the same situation as themselves.
– Is the programme priced within my budgetary requirements
While some programmes might be funded by public bodies and not require a fee, there are other programmes run by private Drug Rehab Centres, especially those which are inpatient centers, which will require a financial outlay. For this reason, it is important to pay close attention to the price of each programme, and ensure that you will not take on an unmanageable financial burden if you do choose to enroll. It can be sensible to check if you qualify for any government help, and check for publicly funded drug detox and drug rehab options which are available to you.
Advice for entering a Drug Rehab Center
So you have made your mind up on the right Drug Rehab Center for you – but what next? In this section we provide some tips and advice to take into consideration when entering a Drug Rehab Center:
* See rehab as a new beginning – a key part of your recovery will be to replace old, damaging thoughts, with new, healthy ones. As part of opening your mind to this ‘regeneration’, it can be helpful to see entering rehab centers as a fresh start – ‘out with the old, in with the new’. By taking this mindset from your first day in a facility, you can really get the most out of the programme.
* Don’t attempt to keep up with the world outside – if you are a drugs abuser or addict who is accustomed to checking social media regularly or catching up with friends, you should expect your stay in Drug Rehab Centres to be different. The world outside will still be there when you complete the programme, so make an effort to shut yourself off from these external distractions to a degree. That can mean switching off your smartphone, and not bringing your laptop with you into the facility.
* Prepare yourself for intense emotions – the detoxification and rehabilitation process is not easy for many drugs abuser and addicts; but that doesn’t mean that it is not worthwhile. Entering and completing a programme can expose an individual to heightened emotions which are sometimes hard to deal with, including loneliness, anger and fear. The key can be to expect these feelings to emerge, to accept them and to move forward.
* Take it seriously – completing drugs abuse or addiction recovery process can require nothing short of a lot of hard work, and for this reason, you should approach a programme with a serious mindset. This is not merely a holiday, or break from your normal life, and you should foster a self-determination to come out of the experience a different person from the one which entered it.
* Be ready to learn – as you talk with professional counsellors, listen to the views and experiences of fellow programme participants, and assess your own feelings, you should be prepared to learn. If you take a ‘sponge mentality’ with you into Drug Rehab Centres, you can benefit from the acquired knowledge and new direction which can often come with new ways of thinking. For some, it can be counterproductive to enter Drug Rehab Centres with the preconception that you already know the keys to recovery success.
So that is our guide to Drug Rehab Centres. For those ready to fully commit to a drugs abuse or addiction recovery programme, the chance to start a new, fruitful chapter of life can be priceless.